Friday, March 22, 2013

Skating

Tight bun + overdressed self on my first day. Yikes. *cringe*

"Hi can you take a picture of us?' " *awkwardly* Sure, okay" "Do you compete? You're so good!" "Um, thanks, I guess"

"You're so good!" 

After that Sunday, I've been baffled with what that public skater told me. No, I don't compete and I don't really think I'm good yet. What I did wasn't an Axel, a scratch spin or okay, even a waltz jump. They were just backward crossovers and I'm just starting to learn them.


Skating has always been my little secret interest ever since, and I've always kept it as a secret (until Twitter came along). I've always loved skating ever since. I remember watching videos of Mirai Nagasu and Caroline Zhang in third grade and I remember sprinkling powder, putting socks on and turning our air conditioner and emulating them by jumping, spinning and okay, spinning even more. 

Anyway, I actually started skating when I was five (public skating, that is). I would've taken lessons but then again, I live four to six hours away and we barely even go to that place. Ten years later... well let's say that I'm learning the ropes of figure skating, and I hope that I can be able to learn more. As of the moment, I don't consider myself a figure skater. I don't think I'm a public skater either. I'm probably just in between, as I don't have the perks of being an actual skater yet.

I haven't competed yet, and I don't think I will compete in my first year of skating. I'll learn more to prepare myself for what's ahead of me. 

I hope to be able to perform in ice shows in a few years' time. I've always wanted to be in ice shows ever since I first saw Disney on Ice and after I saw the skaters from our rink's 20th anniversary ice show practice. I guess it would be a lot of fun.

I may have started "late" but definitely, I have no regrets. I'm living my lifelong dream!

Nationals isn't part of my plan (of course) because people my age are already landing Double Axels and okay, probably triples. However, part of my bucket list are landing an Axel, performing on an ice show, and compete in a few local competitions. I guess I can still make up for lost time. 

Anyway, I look up to Korea's Kim Yuna, Japan's Mao Asada and Kanako Murakami, and USA's Mirai Nagasu and Gracie Gold. They're really good and I can see how passionate they are when they skate. I know I won't reach their level but nevertheless, I hope that the quality of skating that I will have in the future will be somehow like theirs.

Japan's Mao Asada. She's known for landing the most triple axels in the Olympics. 

Japan's Kanako Murakami. She has a bright future ahead of her

Korea's Kim Yuna. After a hiatus post-Olympics, he's having a  fabulous comeback this season.


"Party hard, skate harder, study hardest" will always, always be my motto because with good grades, I can continue skating.

So basically, that's my journey so far. More falling, more cramps and injuries (let's face it. there will come a time haha) will come but I really do hope I continue skating. Who knows, I may land a spot in a few shows someday? ;-) 

Wish me luck and... yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment