Friday, March 22, 2013

Three Things I've Learned from Yuzuru Hanyu


I've actually wanted to make an article about him for my campus paper. But anyway, this is Yuzuru Hanyu. He is an eighteen-year-young Japanese Figure Skater. He's the current Japanese National Champion and he's got a lot under his belt. So much admiration for this boy (or guy/man? I don't know whatever). I don't really know how I can further describe/give an intro about him so... yeah. 

As the title suggests, here are the tree things I have learned from this eighteen-year-young phenom:

1. Hope is a dream that never sleeps.
(Not so obviously taken from Super Junior's Kyuhyun's song) Before he was the 2012 World Bronze Medalist, 2013 NHK Trophy champion and all that, he.... well was in that March 2011 earthquake that struck Sendai City. I may not understand how it would feel like or what he's been through. Let's look at the present. He's done a lot. Bronze in Worlds 2012, Silver in Skate America, Gold in NHK, Silver in the 4CC and fourth in 2013 Worlds.

2. Stand up.
Remember that 2012 Worlds free skate wherein he was already on fire and then he fell in the middle of the step sequence? What did he do? He stood up and continued his program. I do somehow notice that some skaters lose their jumps after a fall. Surprisingly, he was able to land that Triple Axel-Triple Toe Loop and all the succeeding jumps in his program. That free skate pulled him up from seventh to third place. That free skate got a standing ovation from the spectators in Nice. That free skate (probably) changed his life. That free skate changed my perspective of the sport. That free skate taught me how to stand up. *sentimental tears everywhere*  

3. Dedication + passion (okay + a bit of aggressiveness) 
I don't really need to further explain this. It's already a given and a few quotes I got from his autobiography Blue Flames.
-I started skating because it was so much fun, but as the training became harder I started to hate it. But right after I won at Japanese novice nats (nationals) when I was 10, my home rink in Sendai closed down and I had to train at farther rinks for the next 3 years. Many kids quit skating during this time. That was when I realized that training is so valuable. I started to really love skating. I knew I couldn't live without it.
"(after 2010 Cup of Russia): How mortifying! I don’t want to see EX, I just want to go back to Japan and train now! The most frustrating thing is I, the junior champ, lost to Gachinski, the junior 3rd! I’m angry with myself! Ugh I want to train hard right now!!"  
So to finally, finally end this post with a *bang?* here's his 2012 Worlds Free Skate,and Japanese Nationals Short Program, circa 2012-2013


That's 2012 Worlds. It blew my mind


Probably his best SP by far. 


(Picture courtesy of Tumblr, quotes courtesy of http://taranofsdiary.jugem.jp/?eid=40, videos courtesy of YouTube. )



No comments:

Post a Comment